Saika: 2019, Better Drivetrain

What are you building? Let's see your progress!
HerNameIsSway

Re: Saika: 2015 Survivor. Just Needs to Live Again...

Post by HerNameIsSway » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:27 am

I should probably document this with more updates after the last one being 11 months ago.

The car sat a lot for a few reasons: I moved to a new home and recovered from surgery and had this car at a friend's house doing new product testing for a 4agze setup and I avoided the car because I couldnt figure out what was keeping it from running right.

May 2015 was my first attempt at drifting again at Hyperfest (two day drift events) and the car broke 6 things in two days. After many attempts at trying to fix the car, I had to hang my helmet after only 6 runs in two days. The car had starter troubles, 3.5k RPMs idle revs at the staging lane and was overheating sitting still (but dropped when driving). The following week I tried a DriftValley event after fixing a few of the critical problems from Hyperfest (broken belts, broken tensioner bolt, worn supercharger clutch pulley amateur welds snapped, cracked fuel hose). It still had starter/idle/overheating problems. Half the event was rained out and just about everyone packed up and left two hours early. I was hotlapping most of that time and the temps stayed down. Very fun day when i wasnt sitting in line freaking out about the temp gauge.

It wasnt until right before thanksgiving that the car finally ran perfect. First part of the problem resolved was the distributor timing was off by one tooth. Because the crank pulley had the timing mark on the bottom and the mark indicator was on top (I think it's an MR2 bottom reading pulley with an AE86 RWD layout 4age top reading timing cover), It was difficult for me to check it myself. This fixed my RPM/overheating sitting still issue. Second part of the problem was the vacuum leak and incorrect/unstable AFM reading on the wideband gauge. I knew there was a vacuum problem and I replaced every gasket and vac port cap I could find, but it turns out the supercharger to intake gasket was home made with paper instead of a sheetmetal gasket like it should have been. This was done during the last rebuild by a previous owner. Also note that when I ran this engine setup in Sway the gray panda hatchback in 2009, I was starting to have this vac leak problem, thus the reason for temporarily retiring the engine at that time.

100 DoD only a week later after being fixed was my first (and last) attempt with running the now perfect setup. The car never felt more like a beast. It was fast. It was angry. It was pure love. It survived some crazy off roading sessions and smoking some 205s at Drift Nirvana and it went home in one piece.

I cant wait to go back out again.

Currently it is sitting in the garage at the new home for the off season and I do have some more tasks for the car. Mechanically I just need to install the bigger dual core radiator I have laying around. I have to replace the battery wiring for something stronger and better. Other than that it's just cosmetic issues I've never addressed since I got the car, as well as drift damage I've accumulated over the years.

Now for some dirty eye candy.

Video of a run. Listen to the shenanigans.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeHJD4LGI7w[/youtube]
Sway is like a race horse; if you push it sometimes, it's ok, but if you are hard on it all the time, then it's going to break its ankle and then you will have to shoot it.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Post by Yoshi » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:38 am

Maintenance is key!

Need pix of new place. I heard about it but have no idea where or what it looks like.
HerNameIsSway

Post by HerNameIsSway » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:14 pm

Here is one of the garages I have, which is used most as a shop.

A little messy, but slowly making progress over time.

Sway is like a race horse; if you push it sometimes, it's ok, but if you are hard on it all the time, then it's going to break its ankle and then you will have to shoot it.
HerNameIsSway

Re: Saika: 2019, Better Drivetrain

Post by HerNameIsSway » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:25 pm

Back at it again with better drivetrain upgrades.

Still have the 4agze but with a W58 and a 1979 MK1 Supra rear with MK2 LSD with a Weir rebuild kit.

212mm 20v OEM flywheel upgrade

Custom built ACT 6 puck unsprung clutch and heavy duty pressure plate that adapts the Supra trans spline to the Corolla flywheel

SQ Engineering 4ag/W5x trans adapter to T50 bellhousing

Customer rear half driveshaft with OEM Supra front half shaft

2.25" full exhaust with reinforced mounts with a Vibrant resonator and Magnaflow muffler

Yoshi
Site Admin

Post by Yoshi » Mon May 06, 2019 8:35 am

So the car should be solid and good to go now right?

Why is everyone doing underglow all of a sudden?
HerNameIsSway

Post by HerNameIsSway » Wed May 15, 2019 10:40 pm

It handled very well. I blew my first ever T50 trans in 2017 (lost 2nd gear) and I had sold my several spare trans I accumulated in the early years to friends that need them due to my good luck of not ever needing them until I needed a spare lol. I snagged a trans from one of my other Corollas to get through the season. I decided to just move on up to the beefier W58 I had in storage in conjunction with swapping my axle to a prepped LSD Supra rear. Since a custom driveshaft is required to run a Supra rear regardless of what trans I use, I wanted a W58 to mate with it and keep a good solid combo.

Underglow is illegal in Virginia streets, but all other touching states allow it. Good ol' Commonwealth. I guess it just excites people to have it more now. I've had underglow for a few years but rarely had the opportunity to show it.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Post by Yoshi » Fri May 17, 2019 12:05 pm

glad things are working out! Get out there!
pr0craztinazn

Post by pr0craztinazn » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:43 pm

Nice, it will be good to see you out at some point this season!
'03 Yamaha R6 - Resting in pieces
'87 BMW 325 - It works, but I'm ready to move on
'93 Mazda Miata - Rallycross ahoy
'18 Ford Fiesta ST - Maggie is keeping the party going
'02 BMW 330i - SpookE new drift car