DN 2014 rules discussion

Info and links about/to Drift Nirvana
Yoshi
Site Admin

DN 2014 rules discussion

Postby Yoshi » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:27 am

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1HDU ... sp=sharing

I decided to start this thread after a bunch of questions via pm. I figured I should document this for others to see.

To start, ALL of the new rules were originally proposed by Summit Point for one reason or another. The old "Drift Nirvana Crew" this year is simply around to cone, instruct, and help with penalties. Literally, nothing more. Chris, our summit point representative, might chime in.

For instance, the new classing system was designed to be similar to the way HPDEs are run. More skill gives more freedom. This also goes with the new all body panels rule (from HPDE).

The new passenger rule (Only orange can have passengers) is due to liability concerns. Green class drivers are considered newbies and are much more likely to crash. As a result, this is a way for summit to mitigate legal action should someone get hurt.

I have also had some push back on the penalties. First off, penalties don't apply to green. Secondly, the penalties are for uncontrolled/unsafe driving. Dipping a tire isn't an issue. If you are laying on the gas while you go off track, you will be penalized. The bikes usually have SC the day after and mud on the track requires extra cleaning that Summit does not like. As long as you aren't either uncontrolled or unsafe, you will NOT be penalized. My gut feeling is that penalties/time outs will be rare.

Moving between classes is another spot I've gotten a bunch of questions and commentary. Movement between classes is not an opinion. It follows specific criteria. A green driver will become a blue driver when we are certain that will be able to complete courses safely and without danger. It probably will come with connecting corners but the idea is that a blue driver should not be constantly spinning off course.

The difference between blue and orange is trust that you will keep passengers safe. Spinning should be rare. Being off track at all should be rare. Personally, I expect these drivers to be the top 10% of DN. Consistent and safe is the key.

Drivers change classes based on corroboration between 2 or more DN staff. If you don't agree with your request to move to a new class, you may ask for a different DN official (Read: non "DN Crew") to weigh in on your advancement.

Passengers: The only thing that changes is that Orange class is the only class that can give rides. And they can't be during a tandem. Orange is the safest drivers and therefore the best to give rides. There is no extra cost for rides.

Tandem train no longer exists. Tandems are now 2 cars max.
I believe that covers most of what I've been asked. Questions?
rpm620

Re: DN 2014 rules discussion

Postby rpm620 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:40 am

Yoshi i must say that post clears up all things needed to know.
E30 S50 - 60ft - 1.81 :: 1/8th - 8.4 :: MPH - 00.00 :: 1/4 - 12.90 :: MPH - 104.33
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:01 am

I'm glad!

Also! NO PASSENGER FEE! I don't know where the rumor started but ride alongs will not cost money. Same payments as usual for everything. None of that is changing.
Kadet

Postby Kadet » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:20 pm

What about things such as fees? I'm clear on tech inspection rules and helmet requirements, and now ride-alongs and classing... I've never been to one of your events so I'm not sure what driver costs are and if theres like a season permit or anything. And how does "media" work, say if I had a friend that wanted to get pictures and video/spectate?
jalopi

Postby jalopi » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:21 pm

No more TT makes me sad :(

So we talked about stock tow points on diving board cars a few months ago - you thought it would probably be OK for me to take some orange tape and cut it into an arrow, pointing it towards the factory tow points. Does this still stand? I don't have the front valence on and it's stock in the rear - I think they could still hook up on me even if I was in a ditch :)
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:45 pm

Kadet wrote:What about things such as fees? I'm clear on tech inspection rules and helmet requirements, and now ride-alongs and classing... I've never been to one of your events so I'm not sure what driver costs are and if theres like a season permit or anything. And how does "media" work, say if I had a friend that wanted to get pictures and video/spectate?

$10 at the gate, $150 to drive. Nothing extra for media, you just have to notify people.
jalopi wrote:No more TT makes me sad :(

So we talked about stock tow points on diving board cars a few months ago - you thought it would probably be OK for me to take some orange tape and cut it into an arrow, pointing it towards the factory tow points. Does this still stand? I don't have the front valence on and it's stock in the rear - I think they could still hook up on me even if I was in a ditch :)

I'll miss TT only because I never got the chance lol. The idea of the tow hook rule is that you need to be able to quickly get to it. As long as you have the factory ones, you'll be fine. E30s are great like that.
jalopi

Postby jalopi » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:35 pm

Yoshi wrote:I'll miss TT only because I never got the chance lol.

Same here man... it would be so glorious.

Fingers crossed that nothing happens to my/your car before the event - I'd very much like to see an LS setup in person.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:33 pm

We can compare and stroke each other's dicks.
slammedred89

Postby slammedred89 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:07 am

So I feel like I may be in a gray area. Can I run no front bumper if I still have the stock bumper support on the s13? I only ask because mine is notched of my intercooler. I'll put in a picture to give you a better idea. Thanks in advance! Haha

Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:14 pm

The bumper is fine. The bigger concern is how the tow hook is covered up. It'll pass but they'll tell you to get a more accessible tow hook.

Return to “Drift Nirvana”