4age Starter Gremlins

Angle mods and engine builds. Even how to drift or build a boat. Post it here.
Saigons Son

4age Starter Gremlins

Post by Saigons Son » Wed May 07, 2014 5:10 pm

Has anyone had their solenoid ping nice and loud, but the starter motor not turn over?

4age starter- Starts up right away on autozone test bench.

Pulled all ground wires and sanded off corrosion. sanded contact points on body and block etc.

Brand new battery.

Im losttttt

:o
jalopi

Re: 4age Starter Gremlins

Post by jalopi » Wed May 07, 2014 8:59 pm

How's the cable going from your battery to the starter? I assume the engine turns over by hand? Also, starter might turn OK with no load on it (ie at autozone) but not with.

To start I'd check resistance on the power and ground cables. If they're OK it's probably the starter, though I'd make sure you were getting proper voltage at it first.
Saigons Son

Post by Saigons Son » Wed May 07, 2014 9:04 pm

jalopi wrote:How's the cable going from your battery to the starter? I assume the engine turns over by hand? Also, starter might turn OK with no load on it (ie at autozone) but not with.

To start I'd check resistance on the power and ground cables. If they're OK it's probably the starter, though I'd make sure you were getting proper voltage at it first.
Yup motor cranks easily with a 1/2 Ratchet.

I'll check the voltage this weekend when im in VA.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Post by Yoshi » Mon May 12, 2014 11:19 am

Try new ground wires from the engine to the chassis.
dajemma

Post by dajemma » Tue May 13, 2014 12:57 am

I think jalopi is on the right track, check the wire going from battery to starter. Should be a big thick black one. Heh heh . . .

anyway just peel it back a little and check for corrosion. It might be deep in there, and if it's the original wiring, just replace it with an autozone unit, they are like $10-15 for a new cable. I think.