17x9 tire help

Angle mods and engine builds. Even how to drift or build a boat. Post it here.
slammedred89

17x9 tire help

Post by slammedred89 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:41 pm

So I was told this weekend I have too much grip in the rear. I'm currently running 235/45/17 and my car is constantly accelerating in drifts. Like enter the turn at 30-40 exit at 50-60 mph. I was thing less contact patch like 225/45 but I don't want to rip the tire from the rim. Also gave major under steer up front. Front it 215/45/17 all wheels are 17x9. Wasn't sure if this was the right place to post but any help would be appreciated. Thanks everyone.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Re: 17x9 tire help

Post by Yoshi » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:26 pm

Which car were you? Ryan? I'm so bad at remembering people. Did I drive in your car?
jalopi

Post by jalopi » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:17 pm

At least you could actually accelerate on Saturday... lol. Add some power - that'll take care of your grip 'issue'
slammedred89

Post by slammedred89 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:57 am

Whoa super sorry for the late reply. Mine name is Stephen lol its okay I'm bad with names too. My car was the medium turquoise s13 blew the bumper off halfway through the day haha. I agree more power would be awesome but I'm struggling enough with learning on a stock sr lol.
slammedred89

Post by slammedred89 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:58 am

I see why it took so long to answer. I some how double post a thread. Sorry about that!
Yoshi
Site Admin

Post by Yoshi » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:43 pm

Ooooh yea. you're the one that all of a sudden dan got in your car and raped face for a few laps. Maybe that was the silver silvia conversion. Or both. Might want to downsize rims? 225 should still work on a 9 inch rim. Slight stretch but you won't make the tire fly off the car.

From my recollection of seeing you from the outside, you were timid. I could hear you letting off and losing the slide. I could be mixing you up with that silvia...
slammedred89

Post by slammedred89 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:20 pm

That was probably me. Dan was ripping the car like it was made for him lol. The sweeper wasn't much of a problem once I found my grove. I was a little timid at first because I was tired of flying off the track like an ass haha. I was having trouble throttling and keeping the rear broke free. The car would start to over rotate so I would let off a touch (some times too much). That's when it would start pushing me toward the inside line. I had the guy David I think he said his name was. I know he has a s14 with cosmic wheels. I believe its a Lexus brown color or something similar. He said the line were better but the thought the car was going too fast while in the drift and recommended less contact in the rear. I think the under steer was a combination of wet road narrow tires and late clutch kicking then the rear pushing from low rpms. I'm going to run wider tires up front. Just need to beat the wheel wells in some. If you happen to be over on green loop next time let me know when I'm messing up lol
Yoshi
Site Admin

Post by Yoshi » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:12 pm

I remember now.

There's a limit of car modifications that you "should" do as a newbie. Upsizing the front tires will help traction but it won't help slow you down in a corner. Part of the issue with wide tires when you're a newbie is that you catch so much speed and things happen so fast that you can't react. My biggest suggestion would be to down size the rears. Do whatever you want with the front, it won't matter.

How's your front end alignment? It won't do you any good to upsize the front tires if the wheels aren't pointed straight.

From what I recall of watching you from the outside is that the rear would come out but the front tires wouldn't counter steer. That's either due to shit front alignment and/or you aren't letting the wheel go soon enough. Many newbies hold onto the wheel too long. if you don't let the steering wheel slide through your fingers the exact moment the rear comes out, that split second will immediately make you spin out. Now, don't just let go and make the "I give up" gesture. You need to be able to grab back on the wheel to adjust as necessary through the corner.

Distilled all the above:
Smaller/aired up rear tires. Make the car slide easier/slow
Steer faster. Don't death grip the wheel.

Remember what dan did with your car? You can do that too with the EXACT same car and no tire changes. I'm not saying you are, but don't blame the car. You can learn to control it.
slammedred89

Post by slammedred89 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:32 pm

I'm not blaming my car at all. I just want to make it easier to learn in for myself haha.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Post by Yoshi » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:04 pm

Very much agreed sir. GL! Post results