View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Faster way to sand down bondo? 
Site Admin

Post Faster way to sand down bondo?
Right now I have a mouse sander and some 80 grit. You'd figure it would kill the bondo quickly but it gets gummed up really fast. I tried block sanding but the same thing happens. I get these spots of clumped up dust and crap. Should I wet sand ALL the time? IE spray surface with water and go? The few times I did that it just gummed up faster. I don't want to spend an hour just sanding down the first layer. How can I do it faster?

Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:00 am

Post Re: Faster way to sand down bondo?
what kinda bondo are you using? if it is the cheap autozone version, it will come off like that. you should go to sherwin williams automotive on cedar rd in fairfax, the stuff is much more expensive, but it will make your life a lot easier. evercoat rage is the jonks i was using for your front bumper when i did it up before i left. is that what you're using? i mean it's a slow process, you just have to use low grit stuff and zone out for a while. body work can be very zen.

Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:00 am
Site Admin

I've been using 80 grit. Thinking of going down to 40. Yea I'm using cheap autozone stuff. I have evercoat but I save that as a final skim coat. *sigh* I just need to stop bitching and go at it.

Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:20 pm

I usually use the autozone bondo and dollar store 60 grit with an old ass sander. Usually does good, but 40 grit might be quicker.

Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:34 am
Profile YIM WWW

no way hand sanding is gonna do the job.. you need a air orbital sander... with the stick on sandpaper. or some sort of eletric action..
i use like 80 grit with the hand sander then sand the rest by hand with finer stuff
hand sanding will get you no where

edit* just read you have a mouse sander, get a REAL sander lol one that does more then vibrating

Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:28 pm

Yoshi wrote:
Right now I have a mouse sander and some 80 grit. You'd figure it would kill the bondo quickly but it gets gummed up really fast. I tried block sanding but the same thing happens. I get these spots of clumped up dust and crap. Should I wet sand ALL the time? IE spray surface with water and go? The few times I did that it just gummed up faster. I don't want to spend an hour just sanding down the first layer. How can I do it faster?

gummed up? bondo sanding should be very dry and very dusty... maybe your not using enough hardner.

Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:30 pm
Site Admin

any sandpaper gets gummed up though. I went for higher quality sand paper and it gums up significantly less now. not only that, I can pick off the spots.

Belt sander got most of the big stuff off :)

Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:00 am
Slideways VIP

I do Bodywork and Paint for a living it sounds like maybe a couple things,
1.not enough time between spreading filler and sanding it
2. like whatrwedoingnow said not enough hardener

that being said if its thick enough you could use an air file and knock most of it off first then step up to 80 and go to 180 or 220 before primer. Wet sanding it would take FOREVER and 80 grit wet might as well be dry lol
the problem with a mouse sander is that the orbit or the pad isnt large enough, for example it may have an orbit of say an eight of an inch where Dual Action sander made for bodywork would have an orbit of 5/8 of an inch and really knock that filler down quick
I use a product called Rage Gold body filler when ever i have to fill something or sculpt a body line lol

Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:15 am
Profile WWW
Slideways VIP

damn i wish i would have looked at the date of this thread lol my bad. Hopefully it helps next time you do something

Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:16 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

The answer was cheap primer over the bondo gumming up the sand paper :)

If you do body work for a living, explain to my why the metallic paint I just laid looks like clouds inside the paint. Not orange peel per se, if I wet sand it then buff, the paint literally looks like clouds.

Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:26 am
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next