DIY Corner: Low Profile Ramps

Angle mods and engine builds. Even how to drift or build a boat. Post it here.
HerNameIsSway

DIY Corner: Low Profile Ramps

Post by HerNameIsSway » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:55 am

Here is my homemade low ride height/blown tires car ramp. This is 2"x6" boards made out of four 20" lengths and one 10" length. You can just cut yourself a 40" board, 30", and 20" and stack them together. (I had free 20" sections and made do, that's why mine is the way it is) The benefit of my ramps being long is that 6" total height won't clear my bumper at a shorter distance and it is less steep the longer you make it. These ramps fit my Subaru/AE86 trunks with no issues.

You can use either sides of the ramp. You can climb the staggered side and feel the three bumps before you know when to stop without driving over it without having to stick your head out the window and watch. You can climb the smooth side by shoving the ramp under the tire to hold the tilt and hear the ramp "clap" the ground when the ramp rights itself. That's when you know you can stop and not drive over the edge. Because of 6" total height of the ramp, I can use the regular jack, but I bought a low profile jack because it is lighter to carry to drift events.

DESIGN CHANGES/IMPROVEMENTS:

Only design changes to improve this is to chamfer the staggered side for a smoother climb (you can see the lighter colored corners where it gets some wear and tear) and to turn the 5-piece into a three piece (they were free, I had them laying around in a shed). They did real well and I've used this for 4 years so far.

This is perfect for drift events when I blow drift tires on my AE86 and to do oil changes on them and my Subaru as well.

Home Depot will sell one 10' board for $9 or so, and this is 15 feet of wood being used. You can probably pick up two 8 foot boards and you'll have enough.

Sway is like a race horse; if you push it sometimes, it's ok, but if you are hard on it all the time, then it's going to break its ankle and then you will have to shoot it.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Re: DIY Corner: Low Profile Ramps

Post by Yoshi » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:57 am

When I saw this on FB, I thought you were selling them lol.
HerNameIsSway

Post by HerNameIsSway » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:13 pm

Nah, a friend was complaining that he couldnt get his jack under his lowered car, so it got me thinking of making this DIY article.
Sway is like a race horse; if you push it sometimes, it's ok, but if you are hard on it all the time, then it's going to break its ankle and then you will have to shoot it.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Post by Yoshi » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:41 pm

I'd like a shorter version. I remember quigs/steve using these things that looked like metal wedges. Like 6 inches long and 1 inch high max. they'd drive onto it, then jack up from there. Ideally, I want ramps so I don't have to jack up the car from there and I can work under it (like what you have). But I'd say that 90% of the time I have to take off a wheel anyway. E30s are nice enough that I can always jack it up. The oil pan sits about 1 inch below the body line in my red car >_<
HerNameIsSway

Post by HerNameIsSway » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:46 am

I remember what Steve/Quigs had, it was that wedge you're talking about, it was very tiny and only gets the car lifted that one inch like you said. They still BARELY fit a low profile jack under their lips and body kits to start jacking the car up.