Oil on headers

Angle mods and engine builds. Even how to drift or build a boat. Post it here.
Gandhi

Oil on headers

Post by Gandhi » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:38 pm

So I'm pretty sure this motor is going to need some serious work again but I want to be sure. Last summer I had my KA machined and rebuilt to prep it for a turbo, but ran out of money when I got to the pistons and did OE replacements instead of some nice lower comp ones. Other than that I replaced everything from the broken piston oil jets to the bearings. They also did a pressure test to make sure there were no cracks in the head or block. tl;dr, it was a healthy motor with a stock rebuild.
About a month and a half ago I smelled coolant when I was driving and watched my heat jump up. I was stupid low on coolant out of the blue. I filled it back up with coolant and started keeping a closer eye on my level since I had never had that issue before.
Two weeks later I got back from the skid pad and noticed oil on the top of my headers. The motor is still pretty clean and leak free from the rebuild, so as you can see in the pictures it didn't just leak down from my valve cover seal. I wiped it off and figured it was a fluke.
A couple days ago my motor started to sound like it was low on oil so I took a look at the dip stick and it was almost to the min line. I hadn't had an issue with oil leaks or burning before, so I topped it off and started keeping an eye on that too.
Yesterday I drove over to my moms garage to work on my new daily and backed into her driveway. I saw what I thought was coolant leaking from under the car. Not a lot, but clearly a good amount. I looked closer and it was oil. I popped the hood to take a look, and sure enough there is oil in the same exact spot on the headers again, as well as a good amount running down the block and dripping under the car.

I snapped a couple of pictures. What do you guys think? I'm thinking headgasket, cracked block or head, or scraped up cylinder wall. There's no visible smoke coming from my exhaust though.

http://i.imgur.com/VaGbMx5.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/oYUcztr.jpg
Yoshi
Site Admin

Re: Oil on headers

Post by Yoshi » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:49 pm

how long ago was the low coolant issue? It's really odd to see oil with no sign of where it came from. Unless it's being pushed out of the headers? I don't know much about how KAs blow head gaskets so I can't tell you for sure. I don't think it's a head gasket. Try a leak down and compression test if you can.
Gandhi

Post by Gandhi » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:02 pm

I was definitely thinking a compression test. Anyone out there with a compression test kit I could use?
HerNameIsSway

Post by HerNameIsSway » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:18 am

I has a compression tester. I know I'm not much of a Nissan guy, but for my Toyota, I had a mysterious drip on my header, and i had to look hard to find my distributor O-ring was leaking and that fixed it. Do you have a distributor over the header?
Sway is like a race horse; if you push it sometimes, it's ok, but if you are hard on it all the time, then it's going to break its ankle and then you will have to shoot it.
J_O_E

Post by J_O_E » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:25 am

dizzy is in front of the header. valve cover leak? dizzy?