Weird noise from right front hub

Angle mods and engine builds. Even how to drift or build a boat. Post it here.
Gandhi

Weird noise from right front hub

Post by Gandhi » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:21 am

So I replaced my tension rods, control arms, tie rods, and 3 lug studs the other day and had my whole hub apart. I took the caliper apart at one point too. I put it all back together and had no problems for a couple of days. I was on a pizza run and took a turn pretty fast and shortly afterward I noticed a rubbing sound. The longer I drove the louder it got and it started sounding like metal on metal after about a mile. I got it home and took it apart again and I couldn't see anything wrong with it. I took the caliper off and made sure that the pads were seated and they're fine, but when I put the caliper back on it wants to grip the rotor a tiny bit. I can still spin the rotor by hand pretty easily but I think it's rubbing the pads the tiniest little bit. Do I have a stuck piston or is a tiny bit of grip normal? If that's normal what else could be causing this noise? I'm guessing it has something to do with one of the things that I dicked with.
Last edited by Gandhi on Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Re: Weird noise from right front hub

Post by Yoshi » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:05 am

backing plate aka brake dust shield maybe almost contacting rotor and on turning contacting rotor?
Gandhi

Post by Gandhi » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:31 am

Also when I was bleeding the brakes it was like Kill Bill. Bad brake hose?
Last edited by Gandhi on Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Post by Yoshi » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:36 am

well does the sound go away when you press the brakes? What are the exact circumstances it makes the sound? The more explicit you are, the better.
Gandhi

Post by Gandhi » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:59 pm

It wound up that the inside of my brake line was collapsing causing my calipers to stick shut a little bit instead of fully retracting when I lifted my foot off of the brake. There was a point when I took off the hub that I put a ton of weight on that line accidentally. It's all better now though
Yoshi
Site Admin

Post by Yoshi » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:08 pm

Makes sense. live and learn I guess.