Sariko the '87 AE86 Coupe: Under New Management

What are you building? Let's see your progress!
pr0craztinazn

Sariko the '87 AE86 Coupe: Under New Management

Postby pr0craztinazn » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:31 pm

So, most people on here know that I have an AE86, and I've owned it for 7 years as of a week from now (March 22nd woo woo)... I have so many memories wrapped up in the car that it's hard to describe. To make a long story short, this project has been ignored for far too long, and I figured it's about time to at least get the car together again.

Just to recap my history with the car:
I started with

Then I tried:

When both front brake calipers froze, it sat until rebuilt ones showed up:

Swayton and cheechthechi helped me out with pulling the old driveline:

Spiros (garbageman4050 on the old board) welding in fresh metal in the engine bay, because I didn't trust my welding enough not to mess it up:
Burning Toyota undercoating smells like barbecue.

When I left the car alone in '09, it looked empty.
Last edited by pr0craztinazn on Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
'87 BMW 325 - Needs fixing
'93 Ford F250 Diesel - Up for sale soon
'03 Yamaha R6 - Hibernating
'14 Ford Fiesta ST - It's a party, alright!
Yoshi
Site Admin

Re: Sariko the '87 AE86 Coupe: Makin' It Happen

Postby Yoshi » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:43 pm

I always thought it was red :)
pr0craztinazn

Postby pr0craztinazn » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:59 pm

Let's fast forward to 2011.

Swayton has once again graciously offered to help me get the car together by towing it down to his house and reassembling it there. Yoshi has once again assisted me by letting me borrow Hank & the trailer to move the car.

The patient, sitting on Yoshi's trailer:

Swayton gets to work torching off the stuck front bumper support bolts after we tried removing them with no success.

With the stuck bolts torched out, he wanted to pressure wash the car. I was worried about the integrity of the paint, but I realized at this point I'm going to need to repaint the chassis anyway.
So much dirt :/
Pressure washer in action; see the difference!

With the car cleaned up somewhat and the front bumper off for ease of access, we moved the car into his garage, as opposed to the shed due to the weather. Here are a couple of reference shots to show some of what we're swapping:
SR5 fuel and brake lines on the left, GT-S on the right. I apologize for the poor background choice, as the lack of contrast definitely makes the difference hard to see.
AE86 driveshafts, from the top:
SR5 manual
GT-S
SR5 automatic

As the car sat at the end of the weekend in Swayton's garage:

I was installing the GT-S wiring in the passenger side fender well when I found this knife, after it sliced up my right hand... I don't own any knives like this. Chalk it up as a (nasty) surprise from one of it's previous owners :(

I have to cut the shifter hole open to fit the manual shifter's movement range, and ideally, cut off those nuts and reweld them so I can bolt on the inner shift boot for the manual shifter. Not looking forward to that.

Above pics are for future reference... Ideally, this car needs to get stripped down again whenever I have a place of my own so I can remove the rust and weld on reinforcement plates in some critical spots. Hopefully by the end of the next weekend I am down there, there will be a driveline installed. That brings you to the present day.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:09 pm

So what's the todo list? ToBuy list?
HerNameIsSway

Postby HerNameIsSway » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:02 pm

I dont think there's that much left on the "To Buy" list because he has been looking for over 3 years gathering up all the parts needed to complete the SR5 to GT-S swap. This swap is usually expensive due to high demands and low inventory.

Sachith forgot to bring in an engine mount and has yet to find an MR2 rack, so he's going to use my spare for the time being.

I hope we can get some of the complete bushings kit installed to help stiffen up the chassis somewhat.
Sway is like a race horse; if you push it sometimes, it's ok, but if you are hard on it all the time, then it's going to break its ankle and then you will have to shoot it.
TeamTFR

Postby TeamTFR » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:48 pm

This car looks like Coupey soo much...it makes me sad :( I also just noticed that Sariko came from the same dealer as Coupey

There are a couple SR5 Corollas here at Grimms, I can check to see if they have manual racks if you want
Cowboy

Postby Cowboy » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:56 pm

man this is a clean hachi. keep it up!
pr0craztinazn

Postby pr0craztinazn » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:58 pm

It's not that clean; there is now a fair amount of rust to repair, all of it oddly on the left side of the car. The section under the left rear tail light needs to be replaced, as does the bottom of the firewall on the driver's side, just under the interior fuse box. My front fenders are salvageable if I had patience and better welding skills, but alas, I do not. I left my camera at my parents' and am waiting on Swayton to upload the rest of the pics I took with his.

As for the "To buy" list:
- '91-'94 Tercel/Paseo throttle cable (works with a modified bracket to the intake manifold in lieu of a GT-S non-cruise throttle cable, which is roughly 36-38" in length) (purchased, '93 Paseo throttle cable)
- Throw out bearing/clutch fork clips x6 (2 for me, 4 for Swayton) (purchased)
- E-clips for brake lines (found my box)
- C-clips to hold in the brake lines up front (purchased)
- AMSOil trans fluid... will buy some for Swayton as well as for my E30
- Brake master cylinder to booster gasket (purchased)
- Exhaust manifold-to-head gasket (purchased)
- Down pipe to cat gasket (apparently one of my Subaru gaskets will work)

Stuff I owe Swayton:
- Sandwich plate + 2x 10mm bolts
- AW11 MR2 rack
- Clutch pedal clevis bolt + cotter pin (purchased)
Last edited by pr0craztinazn on Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
J_O_E

Postby J_O_E » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:07 pm

Let me know when you are ready to sell it.

Tucked in shirt?
4WDrift

Postby 4WDrift » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:43 pm

i am hoping i can do this to my gtx some day. It just sits right now. Prolly looking at swapping fun stuff in as well. i like the work ethic as well!

Return to “Builds”