Dexter build thread

What are you building? Let's see your progress!
Yoshi
Site Admin

Re: Dexter build thread

Postby Yoshi » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:53 pm

Finished stuff:
Scrape off stickers
catch can mounted (kinda)
sound deadening on firewall
Mount rear speakers properly (lulz)
Serpentine belt tensioner

I think some mouse or other animal has been chilling in my car (get it? "chilling"? HA!). So far nothing chewed up but I do see droppings.

Also, the factory rear speakers are tiny. I got these 4x6s for like $10 so I just cut down some aluminum pipe to make it not smack into the bottom of the rear deck. Ghetto but it works!

I also finally checked out my "catch can" (brought to you by sunkist). I didn't collect any more oil but I did collect some ants. This is also weird. It's like my car sits in a field >_<

The other amusing thing is that my car went from ~84db at idle inside with all the doors/windows closed to 79 with some knock off sound deadening. Really, most of it was covering up wiring holes and the spot where my throttle cable used to go through. I couldn't really find a decent way to plug up the hole all the ECU wiring came from. I should get a new factory rubber thingy and mod that to work. It'll work for now.

List is getting shorter!
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:25 pm

Done
Finish scraping off stickers
At least get the catch can vc side working and the unit mounted
Sound deadening on the firewall
Mount rear speakers properly
Super glue on head unit face plate (mounting tab broke and it randomly pops out)
Serpentine belt tensioner
Finish fixing sun roof leak (JB weld ftw)
Check on brake system
check/change oil
Clean up foot well wiring so I don't kick it as I drive

Not done:
Fix AC cap thingy
Gather spare bits
Sexy right side up ceiling go pro mount
Alignment (App Tuesday)
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:51 pm

I should probably update this more often. I got the oil lines hooked up right. Power steering cooler is in. I'm waiting on diff parts before I can start driving the car again. In the mean time, I'm plumbing up the hydro handbrake sikky sent me as a prototype.

Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:37 am

Got my hydro in and bled. Since my calipers are on the bottom but factory style, I temporarily moved them to the stock location and bled them. Everything went fine. But once I hooked everything back up, yanking the handle just gave me a lot of resistance. Hence the picture above. The line, I think, is kinked at where the shock mounts to the trailing arm. I'm wondering if I can just grind that bit away. I'm concerned with compromising the metal. Might be worth a try.

Before that, I might take it off the calipers and see if they compress as is. Maybe the calipers I rebuilt myself were bunk.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:00 pm

Well fuck. I can't seem to stop spending money. The whole hydro hand brake thing was a big disappointment. The car kinda slows down but not really. I've heard of others locking up the rears with an in line version so there really isn't a reason why mine can't. But fuck it. Let's go overboard.

I ordered the wilwood calipers that massive uses because I know it will work. Shit puts out 1200lbs of force while my stock calipers put out 300. I also got the pads with the most initial bite according to wilwood. Well. Second. The first most bite pads were 3x the ones I got. lol. I'm also swapping out the master with a 5/8" version since I'd rather have more travel and less effort than the 3/4". I took apart the lines today to see if there were any bad connections. I really didn't see anything that would cause an issue.

When I cleared the system, I disconnected one caliper and just went to town on the handle. I managed to shoot fluid pretty far with very little effort. I'm going to likely redo all the lines from scratch to leave no stone unturned.

Reasons my setup might not have worked:
Big master with stock calipers
Botch caliper rebuild
Pinched/kinked hard lines
pinched soft lines near caliper (squished by shock mount)
Factory calipers not being up to snuff
Shitty pads?

I think soft lines being pinched is the most likely. But regardless. Let's kill all of those possibilities! The down side is that the mock up of the wilwood calipers shows there isn't any way to mount the caliper using my existing mounting ears. So, they'll have to be cut off and new ears welded on. I have no idea how to do that. Anyone got ideas?
TKT-GETR

Postby TKT-GETR » Wed May 06, 2015 12:21 pm

I have no idea, but I enjoy your updates! :)
pr0craztinazn

Postby pr0craztinazn » Thu May 07, 2015 7:17 pm

I'm with Jeff. Are you thinking about buying the Massive caliper mount?
'87 BMW 325 - Needs fixing
'93 Ford F250 Diesel - Up for sale soon
'03 Yamaha R6 - Hibernating
'14 Ford Fiesta ST - It's a party, alright!
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Mon May 11, 2015 11:29 am

lol people still read posts on this forum!

Nah. I don't want to do the massive caliper mount since it kills the factory ebrake. I now understand why it's done that way though. The wilwood caliper needs to sit closer to the caliper and really that's about where the factory hand brake mounts to the backing plate. I mean, it's a shitty design for a hand brake for so many reasons. I have yet another.

Shopping around for someone willing to do the welding. I do know a burke that's great with a welder. Dunno if he has access to a lift. Don't want to take the trailing arms out if I don't have to.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Thu May 21, 2015 1:11 pm

I'm gonna make a full effort into updating build threads since I get asked so much. I'm lazy and I really should take more pix.

Anywho. To solve my brake heat issue, I'm going to header wrap both headers and make a heat shield to separate the two areas. I figure I can do both of these feats at the same time. Parts ordered, pictures forthcoming.

On the other end, I got my wilwood calipers in a while ago. I need to figure out how to adapt the factory lines to fit onto the calipers. Any help with that is nice :). I did find some research that said just swapping to a 5/8 master would have solved my issues but oh well. Let's go full bore now.

To give you an idea (I get emailed this a lot), this is what the factory ears rewelded onto the trailing arm looks like:

Here's the huge difference between the factory mounting ears and the wilwood calipers:

Now this last one takes some explaining. This is why you can't just make an adapter. The ears on the trailing arm has the threads for the caliper. I might be able to bolt the calipers from the other side if I shaved down the ears enough to get the angle of the caliper right. But then I'd have to remove the rotor any time I want to take off the caliper. Especially for bleeding (since the caliper is at the bottom of the TA), this isn't a good idea. Not to mention less material and structure. You might be able to make a bolt on plate that shifts the caliper over some. But that's really over kill. I'm just going to cut the factory ears off and have a good welder weld on something custom.
TKT-GETR

Postby TKT-GETR » Tue May 26, 2015 4:17 pm

Wow, what a PITA. I have no time or patience for custom stuff any more.

Return to “Builds”