Dexter build thread

What are you building? Let's see your progress!
jalopi

Re: Dexter build thread

Postby jalopi » Wed May 28, 2014 1:47 am

Yeah, you'll be fine as long as you're not a burnout contest enthusiast
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:01 pm

The car finally made it to the track. Got a tow thanks to a really good friend of mine.

The day started off annoyingly. The hydroboost unit was internally leaking and dripping on the headers. Tech didn't like that so I found a way to seal it up just enough that it would work for the day. Then, after a few runs on a loop I don't like (no ebrake), I noticed the valve cover vent that was open to the air and never gave me troubles decided to vomit all over the engine bay. Some fuel line and a coke can fixed that for the time being.

Then, I do one run on my favorite course. Worked great! Do a second run, so so. Third run after checking fluids and such... car dies in the second corner. Get towed back. Fried ECU power wire from the battery. Melted the fuse holder. Put in a new fuse holder with a 20 amp fuse instead of the original 40 amp. Unplug everything else from that circuit except the ecu. Go for another run. Same corner; car dies. At that point, I can't diagnose where it's coming from and I think this car has had this issue for a while. So I finished for the day. Sad.

I did get a few pictures.

And here is my first run for on my fav course.
Jazpin
Slideways VIP

Postby Jazpin » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:23 pm

Same corner both times eh? Damn man. At least in that run in the video the settings seem pretty well balanced. Ah the gremlins of non-manufacturer/model engine swaps. Hope ya kill the Gremlins soon dude!
'03 WRX (Sold)
'96 BMW Z3 (Sold)
'94 180SX-RB (Japan, Sold)
'86 AE86 (May she rest in peace... *cries*)
'93 BMW 318is (Whaaaaaat?!)(Sold, LOL!)
'87 MR2 AW-11 (Awwwww YEAH!)
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:17 pm

Rain stopped progress pretty quickly and it's not perfect but this will do. Just gotta clean up some edges and paint the damn thing. Up until now, the ECU was just zip tied out of the way. I don't think it needs to be grounded but I decided on metal anyway. Thick enough to be rigid but thin enough that I could bend it a wee bit where it needed to be. The relays were mounted in the engine bay. Which I don't like. So I'm going to try to find a way to mount them on this or somewhere near by. There's a little space behind the ECU but I might just make a mount bracket against the fire wall.

I also want to mount a fuse break out panel somewhere near here. The idea is that I'd like the fuses to blow per item instead of for the whole setup. This is what happened this past weekend. This way, whichever fuse blows, I now know where the short is. Plus it's much cleaner this way. Mounting the ECU and relays will help me figure all this out and vastly clean up the engine bay. So far, all of this fits with the factory glove box cover and other parts. So it's all 100% factory looking when you get in the car. W00t!
Jazpin
Slideways VIP

Postby Jazpin » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:31 pm

Nice! :D
'03 WRX (Sold)
'96 BMW Z3 (Sold)
'94 180SX-RB (Japan, Sold)
'86 AE86 (May she rest in peace... *cries*)
'93 BMW 318is (Whaaaaaat?!)(Sold, LOL!)
'87 MR2 AW-11 (Awwwww YEAH!)
TKT-GETR

Postby TKT-GETR » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:00 pm

Looking good.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:08 am

Finally got time to fix up the wiring. I wanted to do 8 gauge wire but I couldn't find an I hook that fit so I settled for 10 gauge. 30 amp max but I don't think I'll reach that cap.

I'm using one of them generic autozone fuse holders. I think that maxes out at 30 amps too anyway. The fan/fuel pump/coils get 20 amps. The ECU is getting a 5 amp fuse but I'm not really sure what it should be fused at. 5 is probably at least in the right ball park. The only thing I'm iffy on is that the main terminal on the fuse block is pretty exposed. I shoved some electrical tape over it to help but it doesn't sound like a good solution. Thoughts?

I wound up mounting the relays/fuses to the cover for the top of the glove box. There is plenty of space between all that stuff and the ECU. It's also in a different area so nothing over laps. It's not a super clean wiring job but I don't see anything glaring that seems unsafe or like a possible short.

Here's what it looks like all tucked up. You can't see the bolt heads unless you look super hard. Though I need to finalize mounting, paint the ECU mounting plate, and double check things.

I'm not super great at wiring so any advice or suggestions are welcome. I want this to be reliable and done right. Yes every wire is soldered or crimped.
jalopi

Postby jalopi » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:20 am

You seem to be doing just fine. Do yourself a favor though... if the stripper I saw you use at the track last weekend is your regular one, you could seriously use an upgrade.

I've got one of these:

http://store.snapon.com/Strippers-Cutte ... 34297.aspx

Which I'd recommend but they've doubled in price since I bought mine like, four years ago. You really don't realize how much other strippers suck until you use these. Super easy, super quick and super clean stripping. Here's a generic version I found on amazon, can't attest to its quality but I'm sure you can find a decent snapon clone somewhere online.

http://www.amazon.com/Nonslip-1-0mm-3-2 ... B00FH2XC42
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:14 am

Hahah they are. Damn $60?! You got some expensive taste Dave. I added the other ones to my amazon cart. I'm sure I'll be placing an order soon. Thanks for the eye.
jalopi

Postby jalopi » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:05 pm

Lol yeah, well I did fix cars professionally for a while. Also, they work incredibly well when you're trying to strip wires on the car/under the dash... would've been perfect for what you were doing. But yeah, when I bought mine they were something like $35, $20 or so after the student discount.

Now that I think about it, I might've seen one of the clones in home depot, lowes or somewhere like that. I'd try testing something out in person... the ones on amazon could either work fantastic or they're total crap. IMO I don't really see how anyone could fuck this design up...

Just found these on summit:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wmr-w200

FWIW most things I've seen on summit labeled with the "performance tool" name can be found at harbor freight.... so take the potential quality with a grain of salt. Could be fine, but most likely will pale in comparison to the original.

Regardless, if you wanna hold off to see if it's worth the money I'll bring mine over to the August event so you can take them for a test drive

Return to “Builds”