Need advice: my next daily

Anything goes
dajemma

Need advice: my next daily

Postby dajemma » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:26 am

Gentlemen,

I have come to ask your advice. This is a little bit early, but I am planning on jumping back into the ol' car game as soon as this summer.

Sorry, but this is NOT about drift cars. Or fun weekend cars.

What I want is something that I can daily. It must be four door. It must have a trunk. It must be reliable, something that will start every day and get me where I need to go.

I am thinking 2000+, but I am not entirely aversed to an older car with a good track record. I am thinking domestic, but again, I am not aversed to an import.

Hit me with your suggetions! Bonus points if it is fun to drive :)
HerNameIsSway

Re: Need advice: my next daily

Postby HerNameIsSway » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:40 pm

I always wanted an IS300. Fits everything you're looking for, plus it's RWD for non drifting fun things you want to do.

And there's the Subaru Impreza/Legacy as well...
Sway is like a race horse; if you push it sometimes, it's ok, but if you are hard on it all the time, then it's going to break its ankle and then you will have to shoot it.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:42 am

What's your budget? That kinda limits things. I'd also suggest a subaru because they tend to be well made but simple all around. I can hold onto my E46 as I'm planning on selling it soon. Otherwise, there are plenty of good DDs out there. I've lost faith in nissan in the 2000s. Chevy seems to have proven itself as simple and reliable. Toyota is so-so IMO but they don't seem to stand the miles or time too well.
dajemma

Postby dajemma » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:14 am

I think the IS300 is a little out of my price range, but it is definitely a car I want. THanks for reminding me about that one, I will look into it more deeply.

Subaru is another make that I considered. I would be very happy with a subie wagon. Nissan is definitely out. Chevy is a possibility, but the only car that really fits what I'm looking for is an impala! And I have already done one of those . . . perhaps time for a subie!

Thanks for your suggestions guys! Very helpful :)
pr0craztinazn

Postby pr0craztinazn » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:06 am

A budget guideline is critical for recommendations. You didn't mention if gas mileage is a factor. If it's not, I'm voting for a used LS400; return home in style with one of the most reliable vehicles Toyota's ever built.
'87 BMW 325 - Needs fixing
'93 Ford F250 Diesel - Up for sale soon
'03 Yamaha R6 - Hibernating
'14 Ford Fiesta ST - It's a party, alright!
dajemma

Postby dajemma » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:40 am

Budget is low, and gas mileage is a factor. LS400 is a great car, but probably out of my range.

Right now we are trying to figure out if we will be living in the city and doing public trans, in which case we won't really need a car. Maybe a small one.

I was thinking we'd be living in the 'burbs, but it looks less and less like that will be the case.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:07 pm

got yourself a city girl?
pr0craztinazn

Postby pr0craztinazn » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:51 pm

Metro is fucking hopeless if you are going to be living in DC. I did a cost/benefit analysis and it was $80 more expensive a month to own a car than it was to take cabs or use Uber to get around northwest DC and don't want to go further west than the Vienna Metro station, assuming 8000 miles/year of traveling within range of Metro. You're basically looking at Hyundai Elantras/Toyota Corollas/Chevy Prizms and the like for basic transport needs.
'87 BMW 325 - Needs fixing
'93 Ford F250 Diesel - Up for sale soon
'03 Yamaha R6 - Hibernating
'14 Ford Fiesta ST - It's a party, alright!
dajemma

Postby dajemma » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:39 pm

Yeah I'm not sure. Right now I'm thinking second-tier city. Like Detroit. :D :O
silverbullet

Postby silverbullet » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:33 pm

I was in the same situation as you a few years ago Clayton. I emphasized that it had to be a fun driving car (or have the capability to be made fun) also. The cars I was considering was the BMW 3 series, 5 series and G35 sedan. I ended up with a manual E39 5 series.

Return to “General”