New Member - KA-T S13 Vert

New? Tell us about yourself. Who is into drifting? TELL US!
bmaddock

New Member - KA-T S13 Vert

Postby bmaddock » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:22 pm

NAME!- Ben Maddock
AGE!- 23
LOCATION!- Richmond, VA
DRIFT CAR!- 1993 240SX Convertible
YEARS DRIFTING!- 1
JOB?SCHOOL?BOTH?- Graduated Virginia Tech in May 2014, now working in the power industry doing steam turbine engineering
DRIFT EVENTS ATTENDED!- Driven 3 DriftValley events, spectated many Drift Nirvana and NCCAR events.

PIC OF CAR- Image

PIC OF SELF- Wow this was way harder than it should be, sorry I don't take many pictures of myself haha. I'm the guy on the left looking pissed because I burnt a hole in my brake master cylinder lol.

more information on car if desired, (mods/swaps/other cars u mess with)-
Nothing special, just a manual swapped and turbocharged KA. BC coilovers, Powered by Max rear suspension arms, cheap wheels. Oh and handbuilt the 4 point rollcage with Roll Cage Components in Powahatan. Super cool guy, he also helped me build a full chassis for an offroad car I built at VT.

story time, anything about yourself or how you've come across drifting-
I've been into cars all my life but didn't really get into modifying them until junior year of high school when I decided to 5 speed swap my Mitsubishi Galant lol. It was cool but really left me itching for a real car that could do more. I like all sorts of motorsport from Dakar racing, road racing, autocrosses, rally, and ripping up backroads, drifting just seemed to fall in a happy middle ground that lets me do what I want with a car.

plans? competition? fun? just trying out?-
Mostly for fun, I really need some more seat time but I wouldn't be opposed to trying for competition. I just want to tandem with friends.

how did you hear about/come across slideways?-
I've heard about it in passing but then saw the latest 100DoD media was being directed to this site so I decided to check it out.

anything else you love to do beside drifting?(plans/trains/girls/skating)
Mountain biking, fabrication and going to shows. Like 95% of drifters, I used to skate and occasionally ride my board every once in a while.

AND if you want, what do you think you could specialize in wether its wiring/networking/drifting skills?
Weird question, I would say design/fabrication. I'm really not the best at fab but I love doing it and it would be cool to level up my skills over the next few years. It's also fun pulling out the pencil and paper and drawing out a design that's not only mechanically sound but attractive.
Oh and I'm extending this question because tuning is another large undertaking I'm working on. Just picked up MegaSquirt and looking to blow up some KA's in the pursuit of perfection haha.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Re: New Member - KA-T S13 Vert

Postby Yoshi » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:54 pm

Welcome Ben! I didn't know steam turbine engineering was a thing. What's that come down to as a daily job?

Turbo KA? single or dual cam? That's actually a not often taken path around here. I've done a bunch of stuff with megasquirts in the past. Got really pissy at them lol. I'm decent at wiring but MS' drive me nuts.

No V8 for you? Staying turbo ka?
bmaddock

Postby bmaddock » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:45 pm

It comes down to sitting a desk most of the time like many engineering jobs are. We're service engineering here in Richmond so not as much raw design and more how do we fix these massive turbines. I'm looking to move into a field service position soon though. Below is some stock image of a steam turbine but that's about the average size ST we work with. A lot of people have no clue what these look like or even do haha.

It's a dual cam. Well I guess you're right, not many KA's stay in the s-chassis haha. I'm not totally opposed to V8 but that seems boring in terms of learning. KA-T has taught me and continues to teach me more. Some form of turbo straight-six or V8 will be in my future but who knows when or if it will be with this car.

I'm bummed this site is low traffic like so many other car forums I still frequent. Damn Facebook haha. I was looking for your intro thread to read what you drive, Yoshi? I've heard your name before but never had a chance to meet you in person yet.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:47 pm

I'm going to admit that I understood the words you used but not fully the sentence they were arranged in. Field service means you'll be working on it instead of sitting at a desk. Yes? Looks like actual fun/meaningful work.

Boring in terms of learning? Eh. You seem like a tech head like me. In which case, I'll agree that turbos have much more to tinker with. Motor swaps definitely give a whole other dimension though. Even if it was a JZ motor. That's turbo AND a motor swap. Although, no reason to swap out what works. IMO.

Forums are dead thanks to facebook. We get a fair amount of traffic for some of the stickies and pasted information (like DN tech forms). I don't have an intro since I'm WAY before this forum existed lol.

I am Yoshi. I do the morning DN meetings and shizzle like that. I drive an LS2 E30. Previously an S52 E30. Previously NV S52 turbo E30, previously an M50 turbo E30, which was also previously an M20 turbo E30 and just a regular M20 E30 before that. Hehe, I tinker some. We've probably met somewhere along the lines. We should make real introductions though.
bmaddock

Postby bmaddock » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:15 pm

Left you hanging here. But yes, actual fun work instead of melting my brains out staring at a screen.

Hah after talking all this smack about built KA-T DIYorDIE stuff, I've been considering RB25 swap recently. I'm still up in the air on what I'll do but I've listed my setup and will see what happens.

Wow! You've had a ton of different setups, are those all the same E30 shell? Do you feel evil inside for going V8 finally? Any words of wisdom I should follow?
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:34 pm

RB25s will get the job done lol.

Words of wisdom... Can't have your cake and eat it too. Everything you do has a con to it. Make sure you understand before you pick anything (engine or otherwise).

As far as V8 stuff. I've never understood "Brand loyalty". I'm not a bmw guy. I hate most bmw guys. I have goals and I pick what gets me there. Reliable power == JZ or LS. I don't know much about RBs but I know parts are harder to find than JZs. So that's why I'd go JZ over RB.

Also, from a driver's perspective, it's low end power or top end power. If you enjoy banging redline, a turbo 6 cyl is probably up your alley. If you like to make use of down low torque and shift at the first redline tap, LS sounds nice to me.

IMO of course. Your mileage may vary. Just don't half ass anything. Sadly, that means it'll cost 2x what you expect (minimum). And it always does.

Return to “Introductions”