Tech questions

Info and links about/to Drift Nirvana
jalopi

Tech questions

Postby jalopi » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:52 am

Hi Everyone,

Just posting to ask a question before I come up for my first drift event on Saturday - I've been a spectator many times and it seems like a lot of stuff passes tech that usually wouldn't at other motorsport events. I read the tech inspection sheet top to bottom but couldn't find any info on what I've got concerns about - I'm worried that my exhaust and lack of oil dipstick will make me fail tech.

I've got a bmw with a ford 5.0, here's a picture of the exhaust... it's kinda loud. Didn't see anything about dba restrictions - are there any?

Btw, these pictures are a few months old. Since then, I've removed the lower plastic bumper deal and put extensions on the pipes so they're not dumping in the engine bay... made a world of difference inside the car.

Thanks for any info/input
Yoshi
Site Admin

Re: Tech questions

Postby Yoshi » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:29 am

I spy an E30! Why is your exhaust pointing out the front? lol.

There isn't a decibel limit so don't worry about that. I don't know of any rule requiring an oil dip stick... it's a good idea to have one though. Neither of those things will keep you off track. I even recall a starion once that had an exhaust pipe that shot out of the hood.
Chen

Postby Chen » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:45 pm

uhhh yea... might want to just go open header... it looks like your exhaust could be potentially hitting your tire mid-drift, which would be bad. that pipe doesn't even look like it's sealed to the header... it will pass drift nirvana tech, but it would probably fail at clubloose.
jalopi

Postby jalopi » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:20 am

Yoshi wrote:I don't know of any rule requiring an oil dip stick

crap... just came back from the garage after putting the stick in.

pro tip: don't buy a $8 dipstick/tube combo. you'll have to fight it to get it to fit :x

Reason for the exhaust is that on the drivers' side of the car the header would hit the steering column if it was pointing the right way. Still saving up for an exhaust shop to make something less... deafening. Also, I took the picture at a real bad angle but I had a friend do a full sweep, lock to lock before I welded the exhaust up - plenty of clearance. FYI, the reason why the exhaust looks like it's not bolted up all the way is that it's an old 'murican engine - flanges are ball/socket style.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:19 am

You'll also want to delete the steering rubber flex disk or else you'll melt the sucker. lol. You coming saturday then? Come find me! Or... It'll be easy for me to find you.

Return to “Drift Nirvana”