DN April afterness!

Info and links about/to Drift Nirvana
Yoshi
Site Admin

Re: DN April afterness!

Postby Yoshi » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:13 pm

ebrake into the first corner? Don't think I've seen that before.

It looks like you're driving to get groceries lol!
ivantheterribl3

Postby ivantheterribl3 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:17 pm

That car is sick. I love it. I want a ride one day. In the back seat.
Sarli Motorsports

Postby Sarli Motorsports » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:03 pm

Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:16 pm

:lol: Like!
whatrwedoingnow

Postby whatrwedoingnow » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:58 pm

so fing cool!!
1jzgte 1984 200sx!
dajemma

Postby dajemma » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:16 am

prorallycodriver wrote: A big rally will have at least 300 volunteers and only a dozen core committee members to pull it off. And all they expect is a free lunch, entrance to the awards ceremony or awards dinner and perhaps a event T-shirt. This helps grow the sport because many people who learn as workers or pitcrew become drivers or codrivers themselves.

Dude you are 100% right. It has always seemed to me that this sport lacked a large core of volunteers. How do we build this?

Someone has to pay for that t-shirt, free lunch, and awards ceremony. How do we do that? membership dues?
b2600drifter

Postby b2600drifter » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:44 pm

here is a video my friend made for me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn0MyRexkf8
prorallycodriver

Postby prorallycodriver » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:27 am

dajemma wrote:Dude you are 100% right. It has always seemed to me that this sport lacked a large core of volunteers. How do we build this?

Perhaps other types of motorsports benefit from have been around much longer and have lots of retired drivers who still want to participate. You'll always have drivers and their friends who aren't entering because no $ or fixing car that may volunteer. For recruiting new blood, look to draw from the interested people who just don't have a car ready yet and also from the forums for all makes of RWD cars. The rally events get HUGE support from the Subaru enthusiasts, forums and clubs and rally events post on those sites to link for people to register as a volunteer. Sure enough, events here in states where rally isn't very popular will get the 300 volunteers who just want to be closer to the action.

I swear SCCA (Sports Club of America) gets lots of their volunteers just because of the ego in human nature. Give somebody a fancy title (safety steward, clerk of scoring, director of whatever, equipment chairman) and they'll do the job just for the title - for free!

dajemma wrote:Someone has to pay for that t-shirt, free lunch, and awards ceremony. How do we do that? membership dues?

We don't do dues. Every sanctioning body does require drivers have an annual rally license that have a fee associated to them. That $ pretty much goes towards a copy of rulebook and expenses the sanctioning body has. No one wants dues, you have lots to sell but just have to market it.

There is event T-shirt, hat, sticker, .... sales. The surplus event entry fee $. Few rallies charge to spectate because its so hard to collect the $ given the vast area and multiple entry points but you guys have people collecting at the single gate.

Event sponsors- better to call them media partners: tire manufacturers, tire suppliers (Radial Tire), local car dealership, tool companies, motorsport shops, energy drinks, .... Check out the sponsor list for Hyperfest and you'll get ideas. With these, there is work involved in getting them (media partnership proposals to be writing w/ what you are offering) and then keeping them happy by preparing the media such as their name on website, banners at track that'd be photographed, handing out their coupons or advertisement flyer at the gate, whatever). Look, you have something of value to sell that is valuable to anyone with a marketing budget. Even if your events aren't on TV, they are on Youtube, FB, ... Sell the cyber-commercial to them. Offer 'Event' sponsor to companies with $$$ "Monster Energy April's Fools Drift" but offer smaller media packages also (name on website, press releases, TShirt).

Offer volunteers a driftride or charge a fee to spectators for rides to offset cost of volunteer perks. At some rallies they have a media stage (racing segment prior to actual race w/ codriver) that drivers give event VIPs (people from companies that sponsored event) and newspaper/blog editor people and some workers. Teams have auctioned on EBay rides for these (usually $ goes to a charity or local fire department). I can't just go over to Summit main any given roadracing weekend and ask to ride-along. I think by DN allowing drivers to take whatever passenger they want the entire event is giving away something you could capitalize on.

I don't know what drift event it was that was on Shenandoah several years ago that had models walking around, tandem competition announced over PA, DJ, trophies, and the whole paddock was filled w/ drift competitors unlike last weekend where area near entrance to skidpad was just general parking and there were lines at each course, not just pistolgrip and the bridge. My rallybuddy James Robinson was there drifting his orange Honda Element if that helps w/ timeline. What happened to all that hype? Was it a Drift Nirvana event? Or was it subsidized by Jens to get things started there perhaps? or are there competing events/organizations now? or is drifting on a decline? Possibly just like most everything else due to economy crashing. Not saying that last weekend wasn't great, just different. For the drivers who were there, its more seat-time so actually less is better.
Last one back to the clubhouse is buying!

dajemma

Postby dajemma » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:39 am

That was very informative, thanks for writing such a complete reply to my question. I think the main reason drifting lacks that core volunteer base is like you said, it's younger, and there are not as many old heads who just want to be involved even though they're not racing. We have a lot of broke young guys who want to be racers. Not enough rich old guys with free time and a mid-life crisis. The old heads will help out just for the fancy title, whereas most of these young bloods want to be hotshoe racers - not safety steward.

prorallycodriver wrote:I don't know what drift event it was that was on Shenandoah several years ago that had models walking around, tandem competition announced over PA, DJ, trophies, and the whole paddock was filled w/ drift competitors unlike last weekend where area near entrance to skidpad was just general parking and there were lines at each course, not just pistolgrip and the bridge. What happened to all that hype? Was it a Drift Nirvana event? Or was it subsidized by Jens to get things started there perhaps?

Yeah some events have been like that. Yes I think they were subsidized, but I'm not sure if it was Jens, DN, media partners, or some combination of the three.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:00 pm

Long story short, that media burst didn't pay off so well lol. So we don't do it anymore.

Return to “Drift Nirvana”